Federal, state/provincial and local government bodies are reliant on the Internet to address and process citizen needs. However, providing unrestricted Internet access opens the door to an assortment of risks that have the potential to impact the security and privacy of its constituents or citizens. Without properly managing employee Internet access and issuing an Internet usage policy, government bodies are vulnerable to Internet abuse, which may result in lost productivity, network infection, legal liabilities, increased infrastructure costs, the loss of sensitive information or assets.
Features & Benefits Provided by Netsweeper for Government
• Preserve network bandwidth by shaping bandwidth usage and limiting Internet access to certain websites and application protocols such as IM, P2P, streaming media, games and remote access applications.
• For Government offices, enabling IT Managers to monitor, audit, and control Internet access for all employees, public servants, and ministers through the use of a single, intuitive, and centralized administration interface.
• Increase employee productivity by restricting Internet access to sites that are designed for personal use.
• Avoid legal liability issues resulting from the accessing, downloading, saving, or distributing of inappropriate or illegal content.
• Extend Internet Acceptable Use Policies beyond the network by managing laptops used remotely with Netsweeper’s mobile filtering technology.
Government bodies taking more responsibility and controlling what information is available or being viewed on the Internet within their region or country is a recent trend gaining more traction each day. Taking control of this resource for the protection of the greater population is termed as lawful interception. Implementing Netsweeper at a national level and in government owned telcos enables legislative bodies to enforce safe and positive Internet environments.