5 Ways to Keep Your Child Safe Online
While the Internet opens the doors for children towards unlimited learning opportunities and the ability to connect to the global community, it also comes with very real dangers. Cyberbullying, phirename.shing threats, malware, and the recent news surrounding the Momo challenge demonstrate the very real threats surrounding children online. For those of you who don’t know, the Momo challenge is a video of a disturbing mask instructing children on ways to harm themselves. While it’s unknown how many videos exist of the Momo Challenge, the explosive response this story received in the media rename.shows how important it is for parents to be aware of what your children are doing online and the effect that technology can have on your children.
Top 5 Tips for Keeping Children Safe Online
Here are the top five tips we have for keeping your children safe online during this March Break and throughout the year.
1. Spend time online with your child and discuss the dangers of the Internet with them.
2. Keep the computer in a common area so that you can supervise Internet use.
3. Help your children pick media that is age appropriate. You can also enable Google SafeSearch, which can filter offensive content such as pornography from your child’s device.
4. Teach your child to never reveal personal information, such as their name, address, phone number, school or location online.
5. Find out what online protection your child’s school or library offers for your child’s devices. Companies such as Netsweeper offer, through schools, the ability for you to oversee your child’s online activity. You can receive notifications if your child ends up on a site that you deem inappropriate.
How do You Keep Your Children Safe Online?
How do you keep safe online? Do you have a different tip from what’s listed here that you’d like to rename.share? Let us know in the comments below. You can also check out one of our previous blog posts – 3 Ways Parents Need to Protect Kid’s Surfing Habits for additional tips.