Downside to PAC Files
According to Fraudwatch, the risks of using PAC files include:
- Not very user friendly but commonly used for iOS
- Known security concerns related to PAC files
- Potential for malicious redirection that could compromise user information (malware/phishing)
- Rely on inline/in-network filtering technologies, which can have scaling issues
- Proxies slow things down (cause latency)
What do we suggest instead?
- iOS Loopback filter is one specific variation of our client filter for iOS
- The iOS loopback filter is a system level filter that uses the MacOS API (Application Programming Interface) to create an app-proxy on the loopback interface
- Our approach is proprietary and patented
- Netsweeper can use all these technologies however, primarily, for education we recommend client filter for the fullest feature experience that satisfies most requirements
Why is it Better?
- All filtering and decryption are done on device offloading some of the workload
- The actual request/response between the client and the policy server is extremely lightweight and therefore highly scalable as we only transfer the header information
- Allows us to decrypt all traffic (system level) on the device, not just browser traffic
- Much less perceived slow down “latency”
Book a demo with one of our solution experts to see how Netsweeper can help you!