What is CIPA?
CIPA (Children’s Internet Protection Act) is a bill enacted by the United States Congress in 2000 due to growing concerns over the inappropriate content that children have access to online. It is essential to comply with CIPA to not only safeguard children from harmful or obscene content, but to also qualify for the E-rate program, which makes communications products and services more affordable for schools and libraries.
What Does CIPA Require?
To comply with CIPA, schools must certify they have protection measures in place which block or filter Internet access to pictures that are:
- Child pornography
- Harmful to minors (on computers that are accessible to minors)
In addition, schools must also meet two further requirements; their Internet safety policies must include monitoring online activities of minors and provide education for minors about appropriate online behaviour. This includes their interactions on social network sites and chatrooms as well as education on cyber bullying awareness. Once these measures are in place, schools need to certify they are compliant with CIPA to receive E-rate funding.
What Must a School’s Internet Safety Policy Address?
- Minors accessing inappropriate material on the internet
- The safety and security of minors when using direct electronic communications; like email and chatrooms
- Unauthorized access and unlawful activities by minors online
- Unauthorized disclosure, use and dissemination of personal information regarding minors
- Measures to restrict a minor’s access to harmful materials
How Does Netsweeper Meet CIPA Requirements?
Netsweeper has filtering and monitoring solutions that help schools comply with CIPA requirements:
- Block adult content such as hacking, criminal skills, and illegal activities using software that dynamically and rapidly categorizes and filters web content
- Enforce SafeSearch across all popular web search engines
- Monitor all Internet activity and create comprehensive user base reports
- Configure deny and allow lists
- File type and applications blocking
- Protect against web threats – malware, spyware, viruses, tracking software
- Control instant messaging, webmail, and social networking applications
- Compatible with different operating systems and devices
- SSL Decryption